Over one billion people depend on seafood as their primary source of protein. However, overfishing is one of the biggest threats facing our oceans today. Roughly 90 per cent of the world’s assessed fish stocks are now fully fished or overfished according to the most recent report by the UN’s Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). This leaves just 10 per cent of fish stocks underfished – a number that has decreased almost continuously since 1974.
Per capita fish consumption has been on the rise since the 1960s – when it averaged 9.9 kg – to over 20 kg in 2014. As the global population continues to grow, the need for sustainable and healthy protein sources is key and seafood will play an important role.
Resources from our world’s oceans are not as unlimited as we once thought. Choosing to eat Ocean Wise recommended?seafood helps to relieve the pressure on overfished species, ?promotes responsible aquaculture and ensures that we will be able to continue to enjoy seafood for generations to come. ?